Wanderers of the 'Net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suggestions To Help Me Stay Asleep.

+2
Poe
King_Of_Blades
6 posters

Go down

Suggestions To Help Me Stay Asleep.  Empty Suggestions To Help Me Stay Asleep.

Post by King_Of_Blades Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:07 am

I have the problem of not staying asleep and will wake up throughout the night. Any suggestions as to how I can start to sleep better?
King_Of_Blades
King_Of_Blades

Back to top Go down

Suggestions To Help Me Stay Asleep.  Empty Re: Suggestions To Help Me Stay Asleep.

Post by Poe Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:12 pm

1. How often during the night do you wake up? Is it about the same time every time? Is it, for example, always 4 hours after going back to bed?
2. What is your diet like?
3. Do you keep the same wake up and sleeping time every day?
4. Are you overweight?
5. Where do you live and how much sun exposure do you get?

Theory: The first thing that comes to mind is a poor cortisol production timing. It's really common for people who have problems waking up or falling asleep to have their cortisol / melatonin timing all screwed up.

Theory: Liver glycogen being depleted early, resulting in cortisol spike to meet glucose needs, waking you up.

Last edited by Poe on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:22 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Edited first question. Added fourth question and possible theory. Second edit: Added another theory. Third edit: Added question five.)
Poe
Poe

Back to top Go down

Suggestions To Help Me Stay Asleep.  Empty Re: Suggestions To Help Me Stay Asleep.

Post by Banouin Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:53 pm

Relaxing music?
Banouin
Banouin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Poe Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:07 pm

Banouin wrote:Relaxing music?

I would think something like this too, but I think his problem isn't falling asleep, but staying asleep.
Poe
Poe

Back to top Go down

Post by Air Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:33 pm

I don't think I could help cause I have no problem sleeping through the night, it's waking up I find difficult.
Air
Air

Back to top Go down

Post by Poe Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:35 pm

Air wrote:I don't think I could help cause I have no problem sleeping through the night, it's waking up I find difficult.

So accurate it hurts.

"Oh, I should be up.... Nah."

I spent an hour and a half in bed this morning.
Poe
Poe

Back to top Go down

Post by amaterasu Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:56 pm

melatonin!!

Or life weights at some point during the early evening, or any physically exerting activity, and you'll sleep easily
amaterasu
amaterasu

Back to top Go down

Post by Poe Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:29 pm

amaterasu wrote:melatonin!!

Or life weights at some point during the early evening, or any physically exerting activity, and you'll sleep easily

You know, I generally don't like recommending melatonin use.

1. If my previous theory of poor melatonin / cortisol is right, then taking the melatonin would just kind of cancel out the cortisol, and you'd still be messed up.

Besides, he didn't mention problems falling asleep, but staying up, hence second theory. (Just added.)

2. It's a hormone, and getting the dosage right can take a while. Especially since hormones tend to affect each other.

3. It can screw with the body's circadian rhythm.

4. Melatonin on it's own may not necessarily improve sleep, so much as signal to the body that the sun has gone down and that sleep might be a good idea. (As we are a very sun-oriented species.)

5. Melatonin on it's own may not directly affect sleep quality.

Usually best to troubleshoot the cause and try to incorporate a proper fix.
Poe
Poe

Back to top Go down

Post by amaterasu Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:15 am

well, you seem more knowledgeable than I so we'll just go with your explanation on melatonin
amaterasu
amaterasu

Back to top Go down

Post by Poe Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:43 am

amaterasu wrote:well, you seem more knowledgeable than I so we'll just go with your explanation on melatonin

Melatonin has it's place, but I don't think that place is here. It's better to use in the instance of say... sleep-onset disorders or when traveling across time zone areas. But even then, there are other, usually better ways to handle it.

It's just, when it comes to hormones, I think they should be handled carefully. They have a very specific way of interacting with each other that makes timing very important.

Which is why I asked about what time he goes to bed, where he lives and how much sun exposure he gets.

A regular routine helps program sleep.
Sun exposure helps program circadian rhythm.
The further away from the equator you live, you are more prone to lack of Vitamin D (created from sun exposure in the skin, helping create the vitamin / hormone out of cholesterol) and has been associated with various mood disorders. In some cases, it requires more outside time to properly set the hormones of the circadian rhythm into motion.

Consuming some sort of sugar promotes sleep in those who have issues with high night-time cortisol levels, which might be why ice cream or warm milk before bed might be so popular (and effective).

Being overweight's effect on sleep appears to be a result of atrophied muscles under the weight, the hormonal effect of fat and has been shown (I know, correlation != causation) on sleep, primarily with sleep apnea.

If it's just one or two times a night, this is normal and is believed to be the natural pattern of sleep for humans.
Poe
Poe

Back to top Go down

Post by King_Of_Blades Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:21 pm

Well, I am not overweight. I am only 119lbs. I tend to turn and toss in my sleep, and I am usually a night person but due to my schedule. I sleep in differet Times. For example: I stay up late if I have no work.
King_Of_Blades
King_Of_Blades

Back to top Go down

Post by Poe Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:49 pm

So, you mean like one day you'll work 9AM-5PM, but on another you'll work from 3AM-11AM? completely random? Or what?
Poe
Poe

Back to top Go down

Post by King_Of_Blades Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:36 pm

Yes, some days, I work days and some I work nights. Like I work tonight but also get up and work the next morning.
King_Of_Blades
King_Of_Blades

Back to top Go down

Post by neon kun Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:02 am

Oooooh :OO i have the exact opposite problem XD

neon kun

http://neon-kun.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Poe Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:25 am

King_Of_Blades wrote:Yes, some days, I work days and some I work nights. Like I work tonight but also get up and work the next morning.

Blah. I swear I replied to this.

Honestly, that might be a big reason for it, so it makes recommendations difficult. That said, if you have zero problem with falling asleep normally, and the issue is only staying asleep, I'd think you might be better off consuming something sweet before bed.

This link may help explain why, if you're curious.

neon kun wrote:Oooooh :OO i have the exact opposite problem XD

Oh?
Poe
Poe

Back to top Go down

Post by King_Of_Blades Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:51 pm

Wouldn't consuming something sweet before bed, actually be bad?
King_Of_Blades
King_Of_Blades

Back to top Go down

Post by Poe Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:09 pm

In what way would it be?

I've never had a problem with it.

And it doesn't have to be immediately before you go to bed. Could be a couple hours beforehand.
Poe
Poe

Back to top Go down

Post by King_Of_Blades Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:06 pm

Well, I guess I could try that out.
King_Of_Blades
King_Of_Blades

Back to top Go down

Post by Poe Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:11 pm

King_Of_Blades wrote:Well, I guess I could try that out.

Honey should work best, or even just eating carb heavy before dinner.

But it's easier to say why it would be good or not if you actually told me why you thought it was bad. xD
Poe
Poe

Back to top Go down

Post by King_Of_Blades Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:28 pm

Because sugar usually makes you hyper or have a sugar rush.
King_Of_Blades
King_Of_Blades

Back to top Go down

Post by Banouin Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:37 pm

You could also just use sleeping pills.
Banouin
Banouin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Poe Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:29 am

King_Of_Blades wrote:Because sugar usually makes you hyper or have a sugar rush.

A sugar rush could be a sign of insulin problems. Those shouldn't happen, despite apparent commonality.

On that note, milk contains lactose, which is a sugar, and is often used as a sleep aid.
Poe
Poe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum