Wanderers of the 'Net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Null

4 posters

Go down

Null Empty Null

Post by Jay Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:37 pm

N U L L
-Summary Pending-

1. Prologue

Last edited by Jay on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:41 pm; edited 4 times in total
Jay
Jay

Back to top Go down

Null Empty Re: Null

Post by Jay Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:37 pm

Prologue
Null

Spoiler:

“So, pressing random buttons doesn't work.”

The two males stared at the computer screen, eyes squinting at the image projected: a black background application, similar to the consoles of old, with white characters strung across the first line. Following traditional practices, they had tried a number of commands to get the line moving further to start whatever it was.

That plan had been proposed more than an hour ago. Now, one of them continued tapping away at the keys while the other swiveled in his chair.

“Honestly, I don't even...”

While his partner continued to type, the other male turned in his chair to stare at his own screen. Still the same image. “I don't think we're approaching this correctly.”

His partner scoffed, keeping his eyes glued to the screen. “No shit,” despite his words, he continued his efforts of opening various programs to try and elicit some sort of reaction out of the app. It just wasn't budging, though. “Think we should brute force it?”

“Whaddya think we're trying to do?” the blonde male stared intently at the screen, only absently responding to his friend's comments.

“Wait... this whole thing's been us trying to bust in?” the brunette stopped his typing, turning from his screen for the first time. He felt a slight strain in his eyes, but focused on his friend who seemed to be sifting through some files.

The blonde clicked on a file, only to receive an error. Sighing, he closed the folder containing the file. “Nooo, it's been about actually getting  the tool we need to bust in,” he tried yet another file, only to get a similar error. “This thing is locked tight and non of our shit can crack it.”

That comment did not sit well with his partner. “Not even Rak?”

“Not even Rak.”

“God dammit,” the brunette let out a harsh breath before turning back to his computer.

The two sat in silence, the only sound in the air being typing and the occasional swear thrown at the tenacious program.

The brunette glared angrily at the screen, clicking yet another one of their many, many files. He waited for the error message to pop up – but there was nothing. “Wait... wait a minute,” he lifted his head, going back to the console screen. “I got something!”

The blonde looked over to his partner, before going back to his own screen quickly; the console had moved to the third line, filling them up with characters. “What did you do?”

“I used one of our crackers. I dunno what happened, really,” the excitement was palpable in both them; it was the most progress made in an hour.

“Which cracker was it?” the blonde immediately began checking through his files. Getting his reply from his partner, he checked a folder containing the tool. “... I have an idea.”

From there, things seemed to go much more smoothly. Using a variety of tools, through methods of trial and error, the two were able to get the app moving on its own. Soon, it began reading back different types of information at an alarming speed.

“Dude... I think we did it,” the brunette spoke with a grin. The blonde grinned just as wide.

“The bodies were found charred and impaled into the wall of the room. Investigation uncovered various equipment residue, but no piece of discernible technology has been recovered-”

The broadcast was cut off abruptly. Running his finger across the holographic screen, the black-haired male stared at the text that resulted: ‘Connection Interference, Error 602.’

“We need better comms,” he rubbed the back of his head, turning back to the woman standing a bit away from him. “Rita, can you pick up anything over there?”

He didn’t receive an answer; she seemed entranced with the city streets below.

“Rita,” he tried once more. “Rita!”

“I heard you,” her response was curt, albeit lacking in malice.

“Well, answer me,” he tried tapping on his screen, attempting to refresh the connection.

Rita was silent a second. “You find it interesting, right?”

“What?” he continued tapping the screen, finally reconnecting to the lost servers.

“Our work,” she turned back to him with a smile. “Ain’t it interesting?”

“... If you’re asking me that, there must be something coming,” there was clear exasperation in his voice.

Rita’s now full grin only served to confirm his statement.
Jay
Jay

Back to top Go down

Post by Toshii Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:58 pm

I'm interested to see where this story goes :3 Keep writing :O
Toshii
Toshii

Back to top Go down

Post by Banouin Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:17 pm

Oh hey, a story. This should be fun!